HPSEF Scholarship Program
Congrats to all of this year's scholarship recipients!
The Foundation manages and administers scholarships provided by generous donors and supporters. Alumni, family, corporate partners and philanthropic groups committed to education have provided living and lasting legacies by establishing scholarships.
- Blewett Wrestling Scholarship - $500 made possible by Alexander (Zander) Blewett, Hoyt & Blewett PLLC. One $500 scholarship is available to a wrestler-student at Havre High School each year. Applicant must have participated in varsity wrestling all four years of high school and demonstrated academic achievement. A letter of recommendation from applicant's wrestling coach is required. Scholarship selection is made by members of the Blewett family. Typical award is $500.
- Blewett All-State Wrestling Scholarship - $1,000 made possible by by Alexander (Zander) Blewett, Hoyt & Blewett PLLC is available to a wrestler-student at All High Schools in Montana. Applicant must have participated in varsity wrestling all four years of high school and demonstrated academic achievement. A letter of recommendation from applicant's wrestling coach is required. Scholarship selection is made by members of the Blewett family. Typical award is $1,000.
- Gene Gabriel Memorial Scholarshisp - Established in 2012 by Gracia Gabriel and her family to honor her husband and their father, Gene Gabriel, who was an avid supporter of Havre High School athletics and activities. Two (20 $500 scholarships are available for students who have graduated from Havre High School with the intent of pursuing post-secondary training leading to a 4 year degree. Students must have demonstrated financial need and one scholarship is available specifically to student participating in high school athletics. Any individual graduating from Havre High School or a past graduate is eligible. Typical award amount is $500 each.
- HPSEF Memorial Scholarship - Made possible with memorial donations in honor of Jaden Griggs, Bill Seaberg, Marietta Sohm and funds from the 2015 Fossil Festival. The successful applicants are chosen by the HHS Awards Committee, a standing committee comprised of educators and currently chaired by John Ita. Must have applied to and been accepted at a post-secondary educational institution. Selection will be based upon a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and participation in school and community activities. Typical award amount is one $500 award.
- Bart Nolan Memorial Scholarship - $1,000 Bart Nolan is remembered and honored by his family through this scholarship made available to students pursuing a degree in the arts. The successful applicant is chosen by the Nolan family. Student must major or minor in the Art area. A student planning to earn a degree in Education and teach Art would also qualify. Student may use scholarship funds to purchase art supplies after registering for school. Selection will be based upon interest in art, academic achievement, and participation in school and community activities. This scholarship requires an additional letter of recommendation from a teacher in the Art Department at Havre High School. The essay portion of the application must address why you wish to further your education in the art field and why you plan to enroll in your preferred course of study. Typical award amount is $1,000.
- Howard Miller Memorial Scholarship - $500 established by Howard’s family, which includes former HPS Superintendent Dr. Kirk Miller in honor of Howard’s immense support and love for the Blue Ponies. The successful applicant is chosen by the Miller family. Selection will be based upon a combination of financial need (those middle income families that don’t qualify for low income status through the FAFSA application process), high academic standards, and participation in school and community activities. Typical award is $500.
- Friends of Music Band & Choir Scholarships - Two scholarships are made possible each year by donations accumulated by fund-raising by the Friends of Music parents and students group at HHS. The successful applicants (2) are chosen by the Friends of Music scholarship selection committee. A letter of recommendation from an HHS music instructor is required. Typical award amount is two (2) $750 awards.
- Dr. James & Kay Elliott Memorial Scholarships - Established by the Elliott family in honor of their parents. A $2,000 scholarship is available to someone graduating from Havre High School or a Hi-Line high school in the Northern Montana Healthcare service area. The successful applicant will be chosen by a member of the Elliott family. Selection will be based upon a combination of financial need, high academic achievement, and participation in school and community activities. Typical award amount is $2,000.
- PEO AZ Scholarship -P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations. Women only need apply. The local AZ chapter of P.E.O. funds scholarships through its local fund-raising activities. Typical award is $500.
- C. Lowell and Vivian D. Purdy Memorial Scholarship Made possible by the Purdy family in honor of their parents’ commitment to education. Scholarship offered to graduating student from Havre High School and North Star High School. The successful applicant is chosen by the Purdy family. Typical award is $750.
- Sue Swan Community Service Scholarship - Made possible by donations from her children in honor of Sue’s career in healthcare and commitment to community service. The successful applicant is chosen by Sue Swan and her family. A separate essay addressing student's involvement in community service is required.
- Sons of Norway Heritage Scholarship - Two (2) scholarships are made available to graduates of Havre High School and North Star High school through the endowed funds from the former Sons of Norway organization. Friends of the Sons of Norway will make selections. A separate essay addressing students interest in Norwegian history and heritage is required. Typical award is $750.
Wells Lamey Blue Pony Pride Scholarship: The family of Wells Lamey established this scholarship in memory of Wells who was a longtime supporter of Havre Public Schools and a die-hard fan of Blue Pony athletics. The successful applicants must be a graduating senior or recent graduate of Havre Public Schools will be chosen by the Lamey family. Selection will be based upon a combination of high academic standards, and participation in school and community activities. A separate essay is required addressing each student's efforts in becoming the best Blue Pony possible. Typical award is two (2) $500 awards.
Thomas Lafond State Farm Up and Coming Entrepreneurial Scholarship - Made possible by Thomas Lafond State Farm Agency. To be eligible a student’s parents must be insured with Thomas Lafond State Farm. No grade requirements and an Associates degree is eligible. Student must be planning to attend a Montana college or university with proof of enrollment to receive scholarship funds. Eligible recipients must write no longer than a one page report on the importance of life insurance and submit with the application. The report will be critiqued by Tom on knowledge, research, grammar and professionalism. Typical award amount is one $500.
Tillie Patterson Foundation Memorial Scholarship - Made possible due to the wishes of the late Tillie Patterson. She wanted to award scholarships to 2 students from Havre High School that will be attending a Montana college or university. The successful applicant is to use the funds for tuition, room & board or books, financial need is one of the first considerations in the selection. The recipients will be chosen by the HHS Awards Committee.
You can create a lasting legacy like many past alums and friends of Havre Public Schools by establishing a scholarship fund to honor your family or specific interests. The Foundation will work with you to customize your scholarship to meet your desires while fulfilling the Foundation's mission. Honor a relative, colleague, classmate, teacher or loved one with a tribute to HPSEF. We will notify the person being honored by your gift and provide you with a tax-deductible receipt for your donation. Bequests create your lasting legacy without affecting your current financial situation. All it takes is a simple designation in your will or trust and it costs nothing during your lifetime. You can name Havre Public Schools Education Foundation in your will for a specific amount, a percentage or a residuary share of your estate an your gift will be exempt from federal estate taxes.
Please contact us for additional information.